Celebrate Canada 150 Bike Ride

Celebrate Canada 150 Bike Ride

Day 24 - West Hawk Lake, Manitoba to Vermilion Bay, Ontario

Saturday, June 10, 2017

The team left early this morning and it wasn't long before it was raining.  This is the first rain they've had to ride in,  although they say that it is what they're used to back in Victoria.
First rendezvous of the morning and they grabbed a few snacks before continuing on.
I stopped a little bit further down the road at a snowplow turnaround spot to capture this video.
I went to take a picture of the creek behind and below me and realized it was the old roadbed from years before!
We hooked up in Kenora at Tim Hortons.   Kenora is on Lake of the Woods.  One of my "Fifty Things To Do Before I Die" is to go fishing for Musky on Lake of the Woods.  Unfortunately, they're out of season and we didn't have time anyways, but as a consolation prize I at least got to see Husky the Musky (not just another Big Stupid Thing)!
Caroline had another great ride today, completing almost 98 km!πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Notice on the map above how the geography changes as soon as you enter Ontario.  Lots and lots of lakes and the start of the Canadian Shield!  I feel right at home.  I am in my comfort zone!
Ritchie rode it out to our destination for today, Crystal Lake Campground just outside of Vermilion Bay.
This is Crystal Lake, a small lake with Pike in it.
 So, while Ritchie changed his first chain of the trip.........

I assembled my rods and decided to "Take a Hike" down the trail around the lake.  Hey, I'm in Ontario and I have a valid fishing license (Seniors)!
The owner suggested that I start at this spot.
 It took awhile (I went through everything in my miniature tackle box (all 5 lures!), but finally caught a "hammer handle", 23.5" long.  Not my favourite species, but it was nice to feel that tug on the other end of the line.

No fish were hurt in the shooting of this video.  He was released after that.
There is something special about the North country.  It is where I feel my closest relationship with  God and it always rejuvenates my spirit to be in what I consider the closest environment I can come to heaven.

You are totally surrounded by the wonders of nature.



We are a little over half way on the time schedule and our riders are doing amazing!!
Caroline has ridden almost 1300 km and Ritchie has gone almost 2800 km.
Kudos to the two of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment